By Evan Ackerman
I’ve had my Pogoplug for a several months now, and I’m still a big fan… Enough of a fan to have gone and bought a couple for my job (what, you think I blog for a living? HA!). Now I’m kicking myself, though, because Pogoplug is introducing the Pogoplug Biz, which not only includes a whole bunch of useful business-y features, but also comes in a color that isn’t purplish-pink.
Chiefly, the Pogoplug Biz is a way of making stuff on your computers (say, projects) available to other people (say, clients) in a way that’s easy for you to manage and easy for them to access. The Biz differs from the regular Pogoplug (which also has this capability) by letting you control the entire process, customizing the Pogoplug interface to integrate directly with your business and avoiding the inevitable question from your clients of “what the heck is a Pogoplug and why do I have to get my files from it?”
There’s a whole host of other cool stuff that you can do with the Pogoplug Biz, and we’ve got the entire rundown, after the jump.
Pogoplug Biz features include:
– Usage Statistics and Auditing: quickly access a summary of how many times a file or folder has been viewed, streamed or downloaded. Keep track of the number of views, streams, and downloads.
– Customization: customize the look and feel of the Pogoplug interface, including the color, logo, domain name and background image. Customize the look and feel of emails that are sent when you share files.
– Custom Email Addresses: claim your own custom email addresses and let your clients email files to your Pogoplug. Create an unlimited number of custom upload folders and give them each a unique email address to share with your clients.
– Cloud/Mobile Printing: print from any mobile device, including the iPhone and iPad. Print to any printer connected to Pogoplug, from anywhere.
– Web View-Only Sharing: share viewable files over the web while preventing them from being downloaded. Web View is perfect for creative professionals and photographers who want to show clients previews of work but not allow them to download the files.
– Multiple Users: allows an administrator to set access levels and storage quotas for individual users.
– Remote backup: continuously mirror all or part of your Pogoplug storage to a second Pogoplug in a remote location.
All of this is of course in addition to the faster-than-microwave-popcorn setup, ease of use, and expandability that we experienced while reviewing the original Pogoplug. The Pogoplug Biz goes on preorder today for $300, which includes a lifetime of service.
[ Pogoplug Biz ]
I'm impressed. Cloud internet is really taking off, it seems like yesterday I was asking myself why on earth would I ever need that. Now I can't ask enough questions to why not. The Pogoplug is a very simple product, and now with this edition I can't see why anyone couldn't use one. Sure would make working from home a lot easier without all those pesky gateways you normally have to jump though to access your work server from home. I like!
Yet another product I never knew I needed. I travel tons and would love to get something like this to access and share home/business files while moving about. Thanks!
i would have liked a little more technical explanation of what this product does in the full article. This article does kinda assume you know what the original pogoplug does. I mean, how is does this differ from a removable hard drive? Is this just a external harddrive with with remote access privelages?